Monday, June 6, 2011

and so it begins. . .

i was trying to come up with a name of a blog for the longest as i have never done one of these things. i walked into a shoe store & low & behold as i was pondering what i should name my blog these were right in front of my face. TOMS shoes  are already a favorite of mine but i felt like this was so fitting. "journey is the destination" slightly  cheesy & cliche. but i can be quite a cheeseball myself : ] so i decided to go with it.




so i have arrived in lindale east texas for 6 weeks of training before i head to the africa mercy for the next two years. thank you for all of the love & support & generous donations that helped me get here. i miss so many of you already. i love it in  lindale thus far. driving through all the beautiful countryside of east texas made me feel like i was in an episode of one of my favorite shows friday night lights. which is quite a change from being in los angeles the past 2 years. the biggest adjustment would probably be the extreme humidity & heat & also the warnings regarding wild hogs round campus, scorpions, & worst of all snakes ( those of you who know me well know how petrified i am of snakes.) i  can deal with & am not really scared of the scorpions & other critters. its just the snakes that i fear if i come in contact with, will prevent me from making it to sierra leone as a result of a heart attack : ].

i flew into texas yesterday but today was the 1st official day of training. it was more orientation & get to know everyone type deal. i met & love both of my roomies. my 1st roomie is annikka & is from germany she's 28 & going to be a pediatric nurse on the ship for 1 year. my second roommate is candace & she's 22 from a small town in indiana & she will also be on the ship for a years working as a admissions nurse. i've already met some cool & wonderful people from all parts of the world. there's a family from northern south africa, south korea, australia, hawaii, etc. so excited for the next couple weeks ahead & to get to know all these brave people.

1 comment:

  1. How exciting. This is where it all begins!! Your training place sounds quite deserted. But I guess that's where it brings out the best of us. Soon you'll eat snake for breakfast and come back a Jason Bourne, or Crocodile Dundee, for that matter.

    Praying for you

    -Denny

    ReplyDelete